This article describes the premise and plot of a storyboard
. It may contain spoilers. If the storyboard is ongoing, this article may be subject to change.
The Twine Wars (a term mostly used by the writers; also known as Great War or Worlds War to the characters involved) are a huge crossworld story arc comprising lots of related stories. Pro was originally formed for this project and as of January 2009, after a few changes and reboots, it is underway.
There will also be spinoffs and solo stories based on or around the events.
The Wars are not yet plotted for the most part, although the writers have more or less a good idea what will happen to their major settings and characters. This could, however, all change if other ideas come up...
are two interested worldbuilders
, while other writers such as Anke
may be more interested in character-level events surrounding the war, and not big troop lists and battles per se.
The Wars begin after so-called 'worldgates
' begin popping up across all the involved planets and worlds. These portals open up, allowing travel between planets, remain open and stable for variable lengths of time, then close - though they usually reopen after a while. The lengths of time can be from hours to years or anything in between.
Worlds involved in the worldgate events
- Eodea, home of many factions including (early on) Ashti
- Shade, home to various factions, Soprone and two other major powers being the strongest. Later, Suitov Iceheart's faction is nominally based here.
- Steamy Wonderland, whose major power is the Iron Flag with its figurehead heroes Valdemar and Felix.
- Instar (whose major power Offwhite City styles itself as a moderator and neutral force; is involved in behind-the-scenes machinations; likely some mercenary activity)
- Fuzzworld (very inhospitable; scattering of non-technical inhabitants; planet default neutral because no central powers; individual inhabitants join in on various sides and switch whenever they get bored)
- The Junkyard, space station
- Shared, planned world called Larkspur
- Shared, planned world nicknamed Caste?
- Imago, discovered some way through proceedings, immediate enemy of Instar
- Home of dolphin species (via sea and air gates)
- NPPs - other worlds created as shared places and battlegrounds
- Fall - unable to be settled or conquered for obvious reasons
Ideas and plans
- Interworld common language - who (apart from several rich brown nations on Shade) will join in funding this?
- Some kind of [interworld common law]? drafted, including things like neutrality. Who if anyone would fund this? Which worlds recognise/sign up to it?
- Organisation of self-styled interworld peacekeepers forms off the back of this (the working-titled "Twine" organisation). What resources? Does anyone recognise them?
The first story/chapter, Seeds of Trouble
, is underway. Other stories in the War arc are likely to be started while this is in progress.